I love apple season! We are lucky enough here in NJ to have plenty of local farms to go and pick our own. This Dutch Caramel Apple Tart is such a perfect Fall dessert. Grab a scoop of ice cream or whipped cream and dig in!
Is there anything more classic then apple pies? I had some refrigerated pie dough on hand and decided rather then a traditional apple pie I’d go with something a little more fun…a Dutch Caramel Apple Tart! Its a little rustic and I LOVE a crumble topping!
I used granny smith apples in this tart. I love how well they hold up when baking and I enjoy the tartness with the sweetness of the rest of the tart. The apples are simply tossed with flour, sugar, cinnamon, butter, diced caramels and a pinch of salt.
I par-bake the tart dough just for about 8 minutes so it doesn’t become soggy. You just unroll the dough into a greased tart pan, pressing the dough up the sides of the pan. Poke some holes in the bottom with a fork to prevent it from puffing up and par-bake. You then just pour in the apple mixture and top with a really simple crumble.
The crumble is made up of old fashioned oats, brown sugar, granulated sugar, cinnamon and butter. This Dutch Caramel Apple Tart bakes up just beautifully! That gooey caramel with the tart apples and the crumble… Oh. My. Goodness. Just pure heaven!! Serve it warm with a scoop of ice cream or whipped cream on a cool Fall day and enjoy!!
- 1 round refrigerated pie dough
- 5-6 apples, medium dice
- 2 tbsp flour
- 3 tbsp Sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp butter
- pinch salt
- 8 caramels, quartered
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 6 tbsp butter
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Grease a tart pan wit non stick spray and line the drop out bottom piece with a parchment round. Unroll the refrigerated pie crust into the pan, pressing the dough up the edges. Poke several times with a fork. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 8 minutes.
- In a bowl mix together the apples, flour, sugar, cinnamon, butter, caramels and salt. Toss to coat.
- In another bowl mix together the oats, brown sugar, granulated sugar, cinnamon and butter. Using your hand mix the mixture pressing the butter into the ingredients.
- When the pie shell is ready, pour in the apples, spread evenly. Top with the crumble, spread evenly.
- Bake for 35- 40 minutes.
You May Also Like:
Roast Turkey, Apple & Cranberry Salad