Brown Butter Churro Rice Krispies Treats. A fast and easy dessert that everyone is going to LOVE! Nutty brown butter, cinnamon and a pinch of salt really elevate this treat to another level! #FreakyFriday
It is that time of year friends! It is time for our Freaky Friday Cookie Exchange Blog Hop! Some of my blogger friends get together every few months to put together a really fun recipe swap where we all were assigned a blog to bake from and today we are ALL sharing our posts, and who we had! It’s been TOP SECRET and now I finally get to share this fantastic recipe for Brown Butter Churro Rice Krispies Treats from my friend Justine over at Fully Belly Sisters.
I truly loved browsing through the Full Belly Sisters blog because it is just jam packed with great recipes! Choosing a sweet treat to make and share with you all was not an easy choice but I thought these would make for an incredible addition to any cookie swap party. A few other recipes that I think you should check out… Flourless Peanut Butter Dark Chocolate Chunk Cookies, Healthier Thin and Crispy Salted Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies and her Almond Joy Cowboy Cookies.
This recipe is pure genius honestly! Taking the time to brown the butter adds a wonderful subtle nuttiness to these. Then you add in a generous amount of cinnamon and just a pinch of salt and WOW, talk about elevating the flavor to a whole other level! They are tender, gooey and so flavorful. Wrap these in treat bags with some pretty ribbon and bring them to the swap… you are going to look like a rockstar!
- 1 stick unsalted butter, plus additional for greasing the pan
- 1 Tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 package (10 oz) mini marshmallows
- 6 cups crispy rice cereal, such as Rice Krispies
- Grease an 8 x 8 inch baking pan.
- Place butter in large saucepan on medium-low heat. Let it melt, then get foamy. It will then turn a clear golden color and then, finally, the butter will start to turn brown and smell nutty. Stir it often throughout this process and watch it closely, so it doesn’t burn.
- Once the butter is evenly browned, turn down the heat to low and add the cinnamon and salt until fully combined. Stir in the marshmallows; cook, stirring often, until the marshmallows are fully melted.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the cereal (I find a silicone spoon works well for this). Scrape into the greased pan and press down—greased hands make this easier. Let cool completely, then cut into 9 huge treats or a more modest 16.