I am finally sharing a new one with you tonight! I have been so busy with getting the new house set up, camping trip in Maine then visiting family in NC! I have NO idea where the month of August has gone! I’m excited to be sharing my recipe for Breakfast Crepes with Scrambled Eggs, Kale & Fontina Cheese. I love starting my day with a nice healthy meal to get me going in the morning and this one certainly hits the spot every time.
Crepes are amazing!!! They take a little time to make a batch but it is all worth it in the end. If you’ve never had, crepes are a very thin pancake like batter. They can served simply with a little powdered sugar, stuffed with something sweet or something savory and they are always delicious!
My boys are frequently requesting crepes and I don’t mind one bit because I really do love making them. The boys, they had the crepes rolled with peanut butter and jelly while I wanted something a little healthier. I am super blessed to have a garden that has been doing very well and I happened to have lots of garden fresh kale on hand. So I figured why not do some scrambled eggs and throw in some cheese as well. The result, delicious!
A while back I went ahead and treated myself to an electric griddle crepe maker. They are pretty inexpensive and making a crepe on them is really fun!!! No worries though you can absolutely make a delicious crepe in a regular non stick pan too!
- For the Crepes:
- 1½ cups flour
- 2 eggs
- ⅛ tsp baking soda
- 2½ cups milk
- 2 Tbsp powdered sugar
- For the Filling:
- olive oil
- a large bunch of kale, roughly chopped
- a dozen eggs
- shredded fontina cheese
- Mix all the ingredients for the crepe batter together. Whisk until well combined and smooth. Allow the batter to settle for at least 15 minutes.
- To cook the crepes, warm a large non stick pan over medium low heat. Spray with non stick spray and pour about ⅓ cup of the batter to the center of the pan. Immediately rotate the pan until the batter is spread out thin and evenly.
- They cook quickly. Once very lightly browned flip the crepe over using a flexible spatula and cook on the other side again until just lightly golden.
- Place the crepe on a plate and cover with foil as you continue cooking the remaining crepes to keep them warm.
- As the crepes are cooking you can go ahead and heat a large pan over medium high heat, add a few drizzles of olive oil and the kale. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Cook the kale until tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, season with salt and pepper. Pour into a pan over medium low heat. Cook through, stirring occasionally to prevent burning.
- To assemble, lay a crepe down, to the center of the crepe add some of the scrambled egg, kale and fontina cheese and roll it up.
- Serve with fresh fruit of sliced tomato.
You may also like:
Crepes with Whipped Orange Ricotta & fresh Strawberry Sauce