Anyone menu planning for holiday parties? I am a BIG planner, note taker, list maker… what can I say, I am bit of an organizer. For get togethers I really love putting together a nice spread of easy appetizers! A good appetizer spread helps keep things casual; people can make a dish, walk around and mingle and I don’t have to spend hours making the apps! This Cranberry-Orange Baked Brie is FANTASTIC and incredibly easy to make!!!
I have to say a there are only a handful of cheeses that I adore, one of them being Brie. Its mild, creamy and pairs so well with fruit. Different Brie appetizers are a go to for me… check out my Brie & Pear Crostini with Honey, and Brie & Apple Phyllo Cups. What I love about this Cranberry-Orange Baked Brie is there are only a handful of simple ingredients and not much effort to throw tougher, even for a last minute thing.
Fresh cranberries are cooked down with orange zest, fresh orange juice and a little sugar until nice and thick. The brie round is popped in the oven just for about 5-8 minutes until softened and warmed. Top it with the cranberry-orange compote and some chopped toasted walnuts. Served with crackers and there you have a simple yet elegant appetizer that is going to be a huge hit!
- 6 oz fresh cranberries
- zest and juice of 1 orange
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1- 8 oz brie round
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- In a pot over medium low heat, add the cranberries, orange zest, orange juice and sugar. Simmer until thickened. Stir occasionally to prevent burning.
- In a small pan lightly toast the walnuts and set aside.
- When the cranberry-orange compote is ready pop the brie in the oven on a lined baking sheet just for 5-8 minutes until just softened. Too long, and it will open up and start spreading so keep an eye on it.
- Place on a platter, pour the compote over top followed buy the toasted walnuts.
- *NOTE: The brie can be served cold as well*
You may also like: