I love the weekends! I mean who doesn’t, right? I love the extra family time, no alarm clock going off and delicious extra special breakfasts like this one! Crepes with Whipped Orange Ricotta & Fresh Strawberry Sauce are absolutely spectacular! I can’t even describe to you how much we enjoyed these beautiful light crepes, the slightly sweetened whipped orange ricotta and to top it all off a sweet fresh strawberry sauce. This is one perfect dish and would make for a special treat on Valentines Day too!
A while back I went ahead and treated myself to an electric griddle crepe maker. They are pretty inexpensive and making a crepe on them is really fun!!! My kids love crepes as do I, so sweet or savory, I’m in!! No worries you can absolutely make a delicious crepe in a regular non stick pan too!
Heres what I really love about these Crepes with Whipped Orange Ricotta & Fresh Strawberry Sauce…. everything!!! The crepes themselves are really light and the batter is simply flour, milk, eggs, baking soda and powdered sugar. Have you ever had a sweetened ricotta? It is really wonderful! I love the brightness that the fresh orange juice and orange zest add to the creamy mild Italian cheese. Pairing all that with a fresh strawberry sauce finishes this dish off wonderfully!
- For the Crepes:
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2 eggs
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 2 Tbsp powdered sugar
- For the Strawberry Sauce
- 1 lb strawberries, chopped
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- For the Sweet Orange Ricotta:
- 8 oz ricotta
- zest from 1 orange
- 2 Tbsp fresh squeezed orange juice
- 2 Tbsp powdered sugar
- Mix all the ingredients for the crepe batter together. Whisk until well combined and smooth.
- In a small pot, over medium low heat, add the strawberries, water and sugar.
- Cook the strawberries down until the mixture has thickened to a loose jam.
- In a small bowl, using a hand mixer, whip together the ricotta, orange zest, orange juice and powdered sugar.
- To cook the crepes, warm a large non stick pan over medium low heat. Spray with non stick spray and pour about 1/3 cup of the batter to the center of the pan. Immediately rotate the pan until the batter is spread out thin and evenly.
- They cook quickly. Once very lightly browned flip the crepe over using a flexible spatula and cook on the other side again until just lightly golden.
- Place the crepe on a plate and cover with foil as you continue cooking the remaining crepes to keep them warm. Be sure to spray between each crepe to prevent sticking.
- To serve, lay a crepe out, smear a thin layer of ricotta on top. Fold in half twice to get a triangular shape or you can just roll up the crepe. Top with some of the warm strawberry sauce.