The Perfect Guacamole. Perfect with chips, over top grilled chicken, for taco night… heck its good enough to eat straight out of the bowl!
I am a huge lover of guacamole and this recipe is The Perfect Guacamole!!! It is super simple to make and trust me will cost you a lot less then what they charge in a restaurant! This recipe is super flexible so if you want more or less of any flavor go ahead and adjust to your palette. I add a decent amount of cilantro but cilantro seems to be one of those ingredients that people either love or hate so if you’ve never had it before, try a piece before adding it.
First you need to know how to chose an avocado at the grocery store. There is no guarantee unfortunately but here are a few tips. The exterior should be a very deep green color with no brown spots. Press gently on it, it should give slightly but still have a firmness to it.
As silly as it may sound, but I am kind of known for my guacamole. It is frequently requested for family get togethers and is always gobbled up! The perfect balance of flavors and if you’re like me, this stuff is addicting!! I am all about the avocado love… I will eat it along with an omelette, on top of a burger, shrimp or grilled chicken, smeared all over my tacos…. or just with a giant spoon.
The Perfect Guacamole
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1 plum tomato, small diced
- a handful of cilantro, chopped
- 1 tbsp finely chopped red onion
- juice from 1 lime, 2 if not very juicy
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Now to get that thing opened up and get the yummy goodness out. With a sharp knife push into the avocado until you hit the pit then cut all the way around. Twist the two sides in opposite directions and pull apart. Slice the inside in both vertical and horizontal direction, as shown above.
- In a bowl squeeze the juice of one lime. Using a spoon scoop out the cubes into the bowl. Toss the avocado to coat. The acidity will prevent the avocado from oxidizing, or turning brown.
- Now that pit. Using a sharp knife, with the avocado resting on the counter of a flat dish not in your hand, tap the blade firmly into the pit. Twist the knife and pull the pit out. Repeat the above steps. Now get a potato masher and mash the avocados to your desired consistency. I prefer somewhere between smooth and chunky. Toss in the remaining ingredients and mix until combined.
- Serve with chips or serve over grilled BBQ chicken, on top of anything mexican, heck eat it straight out of the bowl its that yummy!!!
*Note guacamole is one of those things best made just prior to serving. If made a few hours ahead press plastic wrap directly on top of the guacamole not allowing air to touch it. Then add another piece of plastic wrap over the top of the bowl*