Back to school, back to a busy sports schedule, back to homework… and nights that there just isn’t much time to cook. I’ve said it before, I think that no matter how busy, it is totally possible to get a home cooked meal on the table if you plan ahead. This Slow Cooker Chicken & Olives is SO EASY and tasty!
My boys just started 1st & 3rd grade, one plays soccer and starting hockey and the other is a hockey guy… we are crazy some days! I love that I can get a meal set early in the day, do all the running around we need to do and come home to a delicious meal ready to go! Gotta love that slow cooker!!
So so ready for this… theres basically just 3 ingredients in this slow cooker chicken & olives!!! Chicken thighs, manzanilla olives & onions. I LOVE me some chicken thighs. They are juicy, tender and really inexpensive! I bought a package of 6 thighs for under $6. This is such a great budget friendly meal for the whole family.
To enhance the flavor from the start I simply season the chicken with salt, pepper and garlic powder and give the skin side enough time in a pot pan to get golden brown and render out some of the fat. Don’t get rid of that deliciousness though… some of that goes into the slow cooker too! After the skin is golden I add the chicken to the slow cooker, pour in a jar of manzanilla olives along with half the liquid, a large diced onion and a few Tbsp of the juices from the pan. Set to low for 6 hours and let it go. I served it simply over some brown rice.
- 6 bone in skin on chicken thighs
- 6-7 oz jar manzanilla olives
- 1 large yellow onion, rough chop
- olive oil
- garlic powder
- cooked brown rice
- Add enough olive oil to a large skillet to cover the bottom. Set to medium heat.
- Season the chicken thighs with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Place skin side down in the hot pan and cook until the skin is golden.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and add it to your slow cooker. Add in 3 Tbsp of the juices from the pan into the slow cooker as well.
- Add in the diced onion and olives along with half the liquid from the jar.
- Set the slow cooker to low for 6 hours. Serve over cooked rice.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: