I will admit, baking is typically not my thing. It requires precision and more patience then cooking does and apparently I sometimes lack those attributes. BUT, cheesecake, I LOVE making cheesecakes!!! This Meyer Lemon & Blueberry Cheesecake is spectacular friends!! You can really go in so many different directions with flavor combos when it comes to cheesecake and I really love that versatility. Also, cheesecakes are pretty darn easy to make too! The flavor combo of the sweet meyer lemons along with the fresh slightly tart blueberries is absolute perfection.
For this cheesecake I decided to make a vanilla wafer crust because I wanted something slightly sweet but relatively mild in flavor. The filling honestly couldn’t be easier… I whip it up right in a food processor! Its creamy and super flavorful because I packed it with plenty of meyer lemon zest. Have you all used meyer lemons before? They are AMAZING and when I can finally find them in the stores during the warmer weather months I love to make good use of them.
Meyer lemons are much sweeter then a traditional lemon. I’d describe it as a cross between and lemon and orange- the coloring even resembles an orange. It makes them perfect for baking or cooking with, they pack a great punch of brightness. I really love the how the meyer lemon pairs with fresh blueberries. Not only are the flavors perfect together, but look at that gorgeous color contrast! This is one perfect dessert in my book!
The blueberry sauce over the top of the cheesecake is so simple- fresh blueberries, a little water and a little sugar. Cooked down until thickened then pureed until smooth. I kept the decorating pretty simple, since Im not fantastic in that aspect. Fresh whipped cream with lemon zest swirled around the edge of the cheesecake is just a perfect finishing touch. Both the blueberry sauce and whipped cream are so good, I always make a little more then I actually need because they are also great over pancakes or waffles for breakfast!
- For the Crust:
- 1 box vanilla wafer cookies
- 1 1/4 stick unsalted butter, melted
- For the Filling:
- 3- 8 oz pkg cream cheese
- 4 large eggs
- zest of 3 meyer lemons
- juice of 1 meyer lemon
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- For the Blueberry Sauce:
- 1 pt fresh blueberries
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 Tbsp water
- For the Fresh Whipped Cream:
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- zest of 1 meyer lemon
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- For garnish:
- fresh blueberries
- meyer lemon slices
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Place the vanilla wafers in a food processor and pulse until a fine crumb. Stir the cookies with the melted butter.
- Push the crumbs down into a spring form pan, coming up the sides just a bit. Bake for about 10-12 minutes.
- Lower the oven to 325 degrees.
- In a clean food processor, add the cream cheese, eggs, zest and juice of the meyer lemon, sugar and heavy cream. Blend until smooth.
- Pour the filling into the pan and bake for about 1 hour. I used a 10 inch pan. If you use an 8in, you may have to bake a little longer because the filling will be higher.
- When the cheesecake is done it will have a very slight jiggle in the center- it will set as it cools. Cool in refrigerator for a few hours.
- For the blueberry sauce, simply add the blueberries, sugar and water into a pot and simmer until thickened. Puree in a blender of with an immersion blender until smooth. Cool.
- For the whipped cream add the heavy whipping cream, powdered sugar and lemon zest to a large bowl. Mix with a hand mixer until thickened to a relatively stiff peak. Don’t go too far, you’ll make sweet butter.
- Pour some the blueberry sauce over the top of the cooled cheesecake, leaving about an inch all around the top edge.
- Scoop the whipped cream into a piping bag with a star tip and decorate the top edge to your liking.
- Garnish with fresh blueberries and meyer lemon slices.
You may also like: