YES!!! After a long, cold winter we are finally here, the first day of Spring! I am looking forward to sun, warmth and outside time! Of course, NJ is currently getting a bit of snow but thankfully tomorrow is going to warm up so that’ll all be gone. So besides warmth and sun, I am really looking forward to dishes like this Black Eyed Pea Salad! Its light, bright colors, refreshing flavors and really healthy too!
I mixed up some of my favorite things in this Black Eyed Pea Salad; obviously black eyed peas, some celery, red bell pepper, cucumber and red onion. The dressing is really simple as well. Olive oil, red wine vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper whisked together then tossed with the salad. This salad is actually even better the second day because the flavors really meld and its just fantastic!
This would be great as a side dish to some grilled chicken, steak or shrimp. This would be great on a taco salad or mixed in with some chopped romaine. Its a great salad and you can eat as much as you’d like with no guilt, this is super healthy with all the fiber from the black eyed peas and all those veggies! Oh and heres the thing… you can use this same method and switch up the beans and veggies used for great different variations.
- 2 can black eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 red bell pepper, small dice
- 1 cucumber, seeded and small dice
- 1 stalk of celery, small dice
- 2 Tbsp small diced red onion
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- pepper to taste
- scallion for garnish
- Stir together the black eyed peas, red bell pepper, red onion, celery and cucumber.
- In a bowl whisk together the olive oil, red wine vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper until well combined.
- Toss the dressing with the salad and garnish with sliced scallion.